Invest in Northumberland
In June 2016, the Minister for Innovation, Science and Economic Development (formerly Industry Canada) launched the federal agenda for positioning Canada as a global centre of innovation.
To carry this out, the following six areas for action were articulated:
- First, we want to foster an entrepreneurial and creative society. We want to prepare Canadians to embrace change, take smart risks and be resourceful enough to create their own opportunities.
- Second, we want to support global science excellence. We want to invest in world-class science and research. And we want Canada to be the destination of choice for the best and brightest people from around the world.
- Third, we want to build world-leading clusters of innovation. We recognize that science, insight and innovation are interconnected and tend to work in tandem. We believe that businesses, post-secondary institutions, government and other sectors of society can work together to bring products and services to market a lot faster. This is a model that Canada must build on.
- Fourth, we want to grow companies and accelerate clean growth. That means supporting the start-up and scale-up of small and medium-sized companies. It also means doing more to keep these companies in Canada rather than losing them to other countries.
- Fifth, we want to compete in a digital world. That means capitalizing on digital technologies, such as cloud computing and driverless cars. These technologies promise to radically change the nature of work and the way we do business. Canada needs to capitalize on these technologies to give our country a competitive edge.
- Finally, we need to make it easier for companies to do business in Canada. That means working with all levels of government to lower barriers, allowing Canadian businesses to prosper at home and abroad.
This is an ambitious agenda; however, Northumberland has each and every one of these qualities to become part of this innovation vision. Innovation is not limited to technology alone - our strengths lie in agriculture, food and entrepreneurship and the resources that we as a County have committed to supporting.